Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wellness Screening

A great part about working in wellness is that I get to partake in regular screenings. Some people may despise cholesterol checks and such, but I thoroughly enjoy them. If I could, I'd have my finger pricked daily just to track the numbers for fun. Knowing glucose, cholesterol, and all that fun stuff is a great starting point for improving nutrition. Can't fix it if you don't know its broke right?

Here are todays results:

BMI = 20 (okay I already knew that one...)
TC (total cholesterol) = 179
HDL (the good stuff) = 65
LDL (bad stuff) = 86
TRG (triglycerides) = 141
GLU (glucose) = 83
Iron = 10.5

Overall these are great readings. All in the 'optimal' readings, though I do think the HDL should be higher. There is one reading that falls into the 'red zone'; iron. Blasted iron. My celiac disease causes me to be chonically anemic. I suppose that's better than constant GI issues, but still, as an athlete I need my iron!!! Sigh, guess it is time to call the hematologist again and set up those pesky iron transfusions. I am impressed that it is the first time in a year I am having to go in for more iron... last yr I had two, 3 month sessions of injections. So this is a positive progression. And a reason to eat a hunk of steak (of course I know that won't help, but still...)

No comments:

Post a Comment