Sunday, April 4, 2010

Glutarded Easter


Holiday meals are a struggle for all new glutards. Avoiding some of your old favorites, stressing out about consuming some hidden gluten, getting annoyed with family members that ask if you're on a 'low carb' diet... the list goes on. I've had my fair share of those, well okay, one years worth of glutenless holiday meals, but I've got it down now.

This Easter Tyler (my husband) and I were sans family, so it was just dinner for two. Since I had the Oak Barrel 1/2 marathon the day before, I started the day with a 3 mile, slow recovery run. My legs were screaming 'stop moving' the entire time. They burned and ached, so I decided not to push it. After the short bout of exercise, it was time to concentrate on the eating. Of course, there was one thing to do before the cooking began; pour some mimosas. I don't think any Easter morning would be complete without mimosas.

Like any traditional holiday dinner, we started with the meat. Ham in this case. I scored the top, rubbed on a mix of mustard, spices, honey, and OJ then shoved the giant hunk of animal flesh into the oven. In no time it was smelling delicious. We wanted a light, spring meal so our sides consisted of charred asparagus and a cold potato salad. I think the salad was the highlight of the meal. Steamed and cooled fingerling potatoes, sliced radishes, chopped sugar snap peas, and sliced red and yellow bell peppers all tossed lightly in a Caesar dressing. Yum! (and yes, most caesar dressing do contain gluten in the form of soy sauce, so make sure you find one without that harmful ingredient).

This meal was everything I hoped it would be! We finished the day with some chocolate covered strawberries. I've never missed gluten less!

No comments:

Post a Comment